On the road again leaving NYC and stopping in Florence, South Carolina - Saturday, July 25, 2009

On the road again leaving NYC and stopping in Florence, South Carolina - Saturday, July 25, 2009

I woke up around 8:00 a.m. because Al went to the bathroom and woke me up. I got up and started getting everything ready. I cleaned a little and picked up the remaining things and Al went to get the car. We were in the car ready to leave by 10:30 a.m. I wanted to eat a cannoli so we went on a search for cannolis without chocolate chips then Al wanted glasses from  Chinatown, so we went to get them. I turned onto Spring Street and got stuck in major traffic. Then, Jake wanted to see Al's office building so we drove by and then we drove into Brooklyn to see the bridge and sights by day. Toasty took us out of NYC through Staten Island so we went on the Verrazano Bridge. I don't think I'd ever been on it, but have seen it many times.

Again, we got stuck in horrible traffic in New Jersey (it also happened when we came three years ago). Finally, I think we got on the road around 1 p.m. We stopped a few times for potty and meal breaks.  We drove until about 1:30 a.m. Although we weren't tired, we were afraid to get tired and not have anywhere to stop.  We slept at a Marriott Springhill Suites in Florence, SC. We all love the Springhill Suites because they are roomy, clean, relatively new and they provide full breakfast in the morning.  On the drive, we talked to a lot of people on the phone and communicated via text.

We were sleeping by 2:00 a.m.  At the start of the drive this morning, we had to travel 1,309 miles and it would take approximately 20 hours 39 minutes to do. When we arrived in Florence, we had traveled 632 miles in about 12 hours (including all the stops and traffic jam in NJ).  The bittersweetness is coming over us again.  It's sad to say bye to the experience, but I think we are ready to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment