Boston Red Sox game at Fenway Park - Sunday, July 12, 2009

Boston Red Sox game at Fenway Park - Sunday, July 12, 2009
We woke up around 9:00 a.m. Al and the kids went to get breakfast and we ate in our room overlooking the awesome view. We are on the 20th floor.  Shortly after breakfast, Al and the kids left to buy Red Sox paraphernalia so they can wear it to the game. I stayed in the room to unwind and shower and get ready. We will be heading over to the Red Sox game very soon. It starts at 1:30 p.m. and it is now 11:00 a.m.

We took a cab to historic Fenway Park and went to the Stub Hub offices to get our tickets.  They were located in a small office building right near the stadium.  What an experience!  There were thousands of people on the streets right outside the stadium, which is really a closed off neighborhood.  When you scan your ticket, you are not entering the stadium.  You are entering the neighborhood.  We arrived at our seats and they were pretty horrible. We were in Grandstand 7 and had a beam right in the middle of our view. In addition, I had an overly large man sitting next to me (or on me) and he coughed a lot. I was a little grossed out. Needless to say, we were all a little disappointed, including Alissa. We tried to comfort ourselves with lots of food, but it didn't work. We decided to move.

We walked around looking for a spot or a place we could sneak in to get a better view. We found a place directly across from the field next to the Upper Deck bar. We stood there a long time, while Alex scoped out the bleachers. He noticed that there were a group of seats that remained empty the entire time. He decided to go down and try to sit in them. I stayed just in case he couldn't get them so we wouldn't lose our great spot. Finally, I went down and joined them and we weren't asked to move the whole game. Thank God it turned out well!!!! We were sitting very close to the lone red seat where Babe Ruth hit his first home run. Jake tells me that the Yankees and Red Sox hate each other because the Red Sox took Babe Ruth away from the Yankees...they didn't like that.

We had a lovely time at the game, even though it was a bit warm. We ate Italian sausage, hot dogs, kettle korn popcorn, and lemonade.  We walked back to the hotel. It was a nice walk, and there were so many people doing the same it was actually entertaining. Mike Lowell was stuck in traffic and we walked alongside his car most of the way.

We went back to the hotel to change rooms and clothes. They changed us to a better room with two beds and on the 15th floor.   We tried to go to ride the swans at the Public Garden, but it was closed already. We decided to have dinner at Legal Seafood and headed down to the wharf for dinner and sightseeing. We couldn't find parking near the restaurant so we parked by Quincy market and walked and enjoyed the scenery. The tall ships were in Boston for the Harborfest. It's funny as they've been following us around the whole trip.  They were in Charleston and Norfolk and now in Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment