Winding down in Mykonos - Friday, September 6, 1991

Friday, September 6, 1991

When we arrrived at the port in Myknos it was 0315 and we expected people to be waiting for us with hotel rooms, but we were sadly mistaken. Everything was either booked or closed and no one was waiting for us. Only the disco at the port was full of drunk dancing people. We wanted to get a cab, but the driver said it would be better to wait until morning to find a place. I’m really not that tired, but a little cold and hungry. It’s 0344 and we’re sitting in the harbor with other lost fools waiting for daybreak. We found a small café in the harbor with some tables and chairs. We organized our little area and sat back to play another round of Scrabble.

1            LINDO – 14
1            VALET – 16
2            WENT – 15
2            LOOT – 6
3            GLEE – 10
3            ROUTE – 12
4            HAG – 11
4            PEAR – 7
5            ONE – 6
5            EASE – 8
6            WIDE – 16
6            MOUND - 16
7            LEASE – 10
7            BOY – 16
8            WRATH – 16
8            CASA – 7
9            WINE – 14
9            APPEAR – 27
10         SWINE – 16
10         VINE – 15
11         BAGS – 14
11         OUST – 5
12         BYE – 16
12         FIG – 9
13         OUR – 3
13         RID – 10
14         IDIOT – 8
14         JET – 20
15         PASSED
15         TEA – 5
16         SEND – 12
16         DIPS – 21
17         TEAK – 10
17         HE – 9
18         AX – 9
18         AM – 4
19         OR – 3
19         – 16 for R, C, Q, I, R
20         POT – 9

21         NO/GO – 7

22         –11 for Z and L

TOTAL:  208

TOTAL:  197

Ana won again, but it looks like I am catching up. All I know is that at this exact moment I am freezing my ass off. Finally, the café opened and we had our usual nescafe and croissant. We felt a lot better. After we saw a pretty cool sunrise, I wondered the streets looking for a cheap hotel. For some reason, all of the hotel prices were expensive which reminded me why I did not like Mykonos too much. I finally got a hotel room for 5000 DR called Hotel Alex. The name clinched the deal for me and convinced me it was a good choice. The guy drove us up the hill passed the hotel I stayed at the first time.

It was white with the green shutters and it was a nice, small hotel. One big problem was that we had to walk up a million stairs. Thank God they had a luggage elevator. After we got our room, which was spacious with an incredible view, we settled in and walked down the mountain and rented one big moped. Ana was scared to ride behind me because the moped could easily flip, but I insisted on renting just one. We rode around to some beaches and as we were going up one hill, I wanted to change to first gear and the thing got stuck and we “popped a wheely” and Anne fell back as I held the bike with one hand so it wouldn’t hit anything. I took the key off and bike fell and the headlight broke. Ana scraped her knee and hurt her left foot. I felt bad, but I didn’t do it on purpose. Ana refused to ride the moped again so she spazzed and insisted on a car. We found one for 10000 DR. I didn’t want to, but…

She followed me back to the moped place and I returned it. I had to pay 500 DR for the moped and 1500 DR for the freaken headlight. It sucked, but now we had a car. Ana drove a bit up this hill and the roads were not very good so she spazzed again and she wanted to return the car. I was real upset and pissed, but…We returned the car within 20 minutes and the guy charged us 5000 DR, but Ana’s going to dispute it with the credit card company big time (She better!). After we dropped off the car, we took a bus to some beach and decided not to get off and go to the Olympic Airways (OA) office. We were frustrated because we spent 7000 DR on bullshit and we wanted to leave.

We booked flight to ATH in the evening and checked PA, LH, OA schedule from ATH to FRA. PA didn’t have flight so we had to try to catch a LH flight at 0535 to FRA to get the nonstop FRA-MIA on PA. The only problem was that we had no LH ticket so we basically have to beg so they could let us on the flight. We didn’t buy an OA ticket from Mykonos to ATH to see what we were going to do. We went to the ticket office and found out that there was a ferry at 2230 to Athens’ Refina port. It was not Piraeus which is the main port, but it was the same distance to the airport. We were told it was only a 3-hour ferry ride and that there would be taxis galore waiting for the ferry passengers. We decided to do the ferry because it was cheaper and we didn’t have to spend money on a hotel in ATH. Also, we had more free time to roam Mykonos, shower, and pack for the flight home.

We then ate and walked around the little streets. It was good to forget the horrible day we were having and we discovered there was a Hard Rock Café on the island. We caught a bus to it and it was closed. They allowed us to go inside and have some soft drinks. It was about 1645 and it opened at 1600. They told us it was owned by a Chicago-based company and it was only three months old. Grace Jones and Pete Townsend attended opening night. Also, the British band Curiosity Killed the Cat played on that same night. It looked like all the other Hard Rocks of the world and most of the stuff was from the Beatles. There was a U2 Joshua Tree platinum album frame. The place was nice. On the top of the doorway it read: ACROPOLIS OF ROCK. We took the bus back to the city and walked around some more. We had something to eat, watched the sunset, and took a bus back to the hotel.

We told the guy at the hotel that we had an emergency in the U.S. and we had to leave early. I told him I would pay for full night and he was cool about it. After we showered and packed, Ana and I sat on the balcony. Anne started to cry because it was over. The whole trip was going to be over and we had to get back to LIFE and back to REALITY. She was sad because the opportunity to fly off on a moments notice or to fly free at all was going to end. We were confident things were going to be fine. I calmed her down and comforted her.
I forgot to write that I had called Aya earlier in the day and that I was probably going to go home the next day and that I was tired of being tired. That’s what I told Anne and that we needed to get back. We have some degree of responsibility or at least I have this huge one that I must live up to. When I get back home, if Pan Am isn’t waiting for me with open arms, I am ready to move on. It’s time. I’ve seen more and been to more places that I could ever dream of, but then again if a job is waiting for me at another company or at Pan Am, I will take it. Also, going to F.I.U. first thing on Monday morning is another option. Perhaps, I could finally finish. I know I will finish that so it doesn’t worry me if I do it the following year. Anne was still very upset, but how can I convince her that everything was going to be OK? What if it is not? Then what? All you could do is take this experience that we have shared with each other and our friends and treasure it. It was unbelievable what we accomplished and what we saw. Nothing will ever come close to it in terms of experiences and that is something that I will always be grateful for.

What I meant by telling Aya that I was tired of being tired was that I need to be in one place long enough so I could eat and sleep properly. I would continue this trip through December, but there were many things left undone back home. This trip and experience was one of the best if not THE best. I saw and learned so much. Just the Russian situation was worth it. It was incredible that I was there and that one day I would tell my grandkids about it.

Maybe that’s one thing I wanted in all of this. I want to be able to say I did something completely irrational, unexpected, crazy, and lived through it. It’s something big and I know it will stay with me forever. On this trip, I saw the Soviet Union, Czechoslavoskia, Turkey, Egypt, and Greece. It’s something I will carry with me forever. Also, being with Anne 24 hours a day for over 21 days wasn’t too bad. It was great waking up next to her and falling asleep next to her. This was trip was good and bad for us. Bad because we fought over little things, but good because we still talk stupid, we experienced each other 24/7, and that I love her. It’s amazing to sit on the balcony with her and feel like we are supposed to be there together. It was great. It seems like I am concluding this journal, but the trip is not over.

No comments:

Post a Comment